The forests covered by the Forest District Babimost, presently divided by fields and villages, are fragments of the large Lubuski Forests that formerly spread within the boundaries marked by the Odra, Warta and Obra rivers.
After adoption of Christianity, numerous monasteries were founded within the territory of the present Lubuski Province. The Order of Cistercians, which contributed a lot into development of agriculture, also had a great impact on formation of the natural and cultural landscape of the whole region. The part of forests of the present Babimost Forest District situated east of the line Szczaniec-Wojnowo belonged, together with some of villages and towns, including Babimost, to Cistercians of Obra. The monks of this Order introduced modern agriculture, organized processing plants (mills, sawmills) and managed drainage works. However, forest management run at the time for the needs of the monastery was rather of an overexploiting character. After the secularization process the Cistercians lands were taken over by noblemen.
The planned forest management in the area covered by the present Babimost Forest District was introduced in the middle of the 19th century. The prevailing former forest stands in this area were made of pine, pine and beech and oak. In peat bog valleys broadleaved forest stands prevailed and were formed of alder and ash tree mixed with alder. Wars that dragged on through these territories caused much damage ( cutting down vast forest areas, fires.)
At the end of the thirties of the 20th century within the area occupied by the present Lubuski Province, there were about thirty nature reserves, usually of forest type. Some of these valuable in terms of nature preservation places are still present in the area of the Forest District Babimost, namely:
- the present nature reserve "Laski" (forest reserve "Leske"), established on October 2nd, 1940 with the area of 38.4 ha;
- forest scenic reserve Las near the chaple and a pond over the road Dąbrówka Wielka-Zbąszynek;
- the 200 m wide belt along the road Świebodzin-Sulechów was also subject to protection as a scenic reserve;
Until 1945 the forests comprised by the present Babimost Forest District were merely in private hands, 60% of which were big manor farms and 35% belonged to small farmers. The remaining area belonged to churches and communes.
In 1945 the forests of the present Forest District Babimost were nationalized and administration was taken over by the Directorate General of the State Forests.
The Forest District Babimost in its present shape ( with the divisions of Dąbrówka, Kargowa and Szczaniec) was established on January 1st, 1985.